Pancake Day Recipe:
Savoury Wheat Pancakes with Haddock poached in Nutmeg milk and a Cream Cheese Horseradish and Lemon Sauce.
(Honestly, it's so good!)
1. Make the pancake batter. I'm not going to patronise you by detailing how that is done, but I will point out I use a wholewheat flour for my savoury pancakes.
2. Once the pancakes are prepared, keep them warm in the oven on the lowest heat whilst you prepare the fish.
3. Pour milk into a saucepan and add nutmeg. Put in the haddock fillets and a spoon of wholegrain mustard and poach.
4. Once the fish is cooked (this shouldn't take long) remove the fish but keep the milk. Grate in Cheddar cheese and add plain flour, whisking constantly throughout till it thickens.
5. Grind in some black pepper and extra nutmeg, then flake in the fish.
6. In another smaller pan, spoon in two spoonfuls of Cream Cheese with milk, a large spoonful of horse radish sauce and stir together till warmed through. Add pepper and a few squeezes of lemon juice.
7. Remove the pancakes from the oven and lay on the plates. Spoon in the fish mixture and roll. Drizzle with the horseradish sauce, a light grinding of pepper and serve!
Today is Pancake Day. Don't just stick to lemon and sugar... Give it a go!